There is a general theme for New Year’s resolutions going around on Facebook about having ONE WORD for the year.
I Love it!
It’s like your own personal mantra. A focal point. A target.
I want a word!
So, I started thinking about what I want my 2014 to look like.
Everything in life starts with people. With love. With relationships.
I was thinking about the people with whom I surround myself. I am very grateful to know so many smart, determined, successful people. I admire a lot of qualities in a lot of my friends and family. And when I was going over my goals for 2014, one person kept coming to mind. Maybe because I want to spend more time with this person, but also because
she has qualities within her that I admire.
My friend, Denise Fields.
She carries herself with strength and grace. She’s a lawyer. A runner. A crossfitter. She’s smart and funny. She does not tell you what she thinks you want to hear, she tells you the TRUTH! She has purpose when she speaks. She’s confident. And the words “Get yourself together people” shows up in her statuses on Facebook from time to time. I met Denise through HitchFit and the crazy thing is we have only spent face to face time together like three times in our life. She is just one of those people that I feel like I can spill my guts to and she will calmly and sternly gather up all the pieces and tuck them back in all neat and orderly and then slap me in the face and tell me to get my shit together! Everyone needs a Denise in their life and that’s why I admire her.
With her in mind, the general theme for my year is:
(You might recognize that banner when I used it to get focused about sugar!)
What those words mean to me for 2014:
- Get together and connect with Justin by having a date night at least twice a month, going to yoga, and hiking.
- Get together with our immediate family once a month. Face to face.
- Get together with extended family. We have talked about spending one night away from home a month. I would like to spend this night with a part of our family that is within driving distance but lives just a little too far for a day trip.
- Get together with a friend once a week. Face to face.
- Get my house together. Declutter. Let go of things I have been hanging on to because I feel insecure about letting it go, or wishy-washy, or maybe I’ll need it someday. I want everything to have a purpose in our house. If we don’t use it, it’s outta here!
- Get our business together. My #1 focus for 2014. I constantly feel one step behind and I AM MY OWN BOSS. Waiting until the last minute before a meeting to get my paperwork in order. Letting myself gets weeks behind on little things I could do each day and then feeling stressed when it’s piled up. I don’t feel good operating in this manner. I want to set the intention each day to be purposeful with my time when it comes to work and do one thing that moves me in a more organized direction.
- Get moving with voice over work! My #2 focus for 2014. I’m fired up. I’m motivated. I’m focused!
I want to GET TOGETHER and connect with the foundations of my life: Family, Friends, Home, Work. I don’t want to just go through the motions. I want to be purposeful.
I was trying to come up with ONE WORD!
I ended up with a person, a theme and a whole box of words!
Everything circulates around PURPOSEFUL though.
I want to live with Purpose in 2014.
I feel strong and confident. Purposeful.
I feel like last year was driven by choosing happiness and creating my own happiness and it was a year spent on ME. I succeeded. It worked. I am happy.
Now I want to use that strength and power I created within myself and share it!
I want to spend this year with OTHERS. I want to be more helpful and valuable and impactful to those around me and those I love.
So there you have it.
Someone I admire: Denise Fields
2014 Theme: Get It Together
2014 Word: Purposeful
I would love to hear what YOUR goals are? Do you have a word? A theme? Someone you admire?