I made this last night:
I used the recipe from Dine Without Whine who got it from Betty Crocker. I swapped the sugar cookie for a brownie base:
- Boxed Brownie mix. I used Betty Crocker, Dark Chocolate Premium Brownie Mix.
- 1 cup white vanilla baking chips (I used white chocolate chips)
- 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries (It took two packages)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup of water
- 10-12 drops of red food color (I did not do this)
1. Heat oven to 350oF. Spray bottom only of 15x10x1 or 13x9 inch pan (I used 11x7) with cooking spray. In large bowl, make brownies and bake as directed on package. Cool completely.
2. In small microwaveable bowl, microwave baking chips until melted (it took me two times at 30 seconds each) and can be stirred smooth. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Stir in melted chips until blended. (I dumped my block of cream cheese right in my bowl of white chocolate and beat with hand mixer!) Spread mixture over crust. Refrigerate while making topping.
3. In small bowl, crush 1 cup of strawberries. In 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in crushed strawberries and 1/3 cup water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in food coloring (I did not do this step.) Let cool for 10 minutes, then gently stir in remaining sliced strawberries (I didn’t let it cool for exactly 10 minutes. Just as my mother-in-law got them sliced, we added them to the pot!). Spoon topping over filling. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set. Store covered in the refrigerator.